29 Dec A Tribute To Jaye’s Rum Cake!
I tend to consume the most spirits around the holidays, but they aren’t always inside of a cocktail. Behold My Nana’s Rum Cake! It so good and moist! I absolutely hate the word moist but that’s the best word to describe the deliciousness of this cake. Now, I’m not going to give her exact recipe or else she would kill me! Here’s a mashup of her’s, and one I found on the internet from The Pioneer Woman that I’ve tried and love. Most rum cake recipes have the same ingredients so you will get the same great boozy taste!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup rum (dark or light)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1-1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cups rum
- Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.
- Chop 1 cup of pecans or walnuts and put on the bottom of cake pan.
- Mix all cake ingredients together and pour into cake pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cool, put on a plate, and poke small holes all over.
- Melt butter, and mix with water and sugar.
- Boil for 5 min, mixing constantly.
- Cool off for a few minutes, and mix in rum.
- Glaze cake all over, and be sure to pour some glaze in the middle of the cake.
Note: You may serve after all the rum is soaked into the cake or refrigerate for later. Allow cake to cool off completely before wrapping it up, and placing in the refrigerator.
Pro Tip #1: Wait to take the cake out of the bundt pan until the glaze is done. Pour a generous amount of glaze on the bottom of the cake, let it soak in, then flip the cake over onto a plate. That way the rum glaze will soak in from every angle.
Pro tip #2: Make the cake about 3 days in advance to serving day. That way the cake can soak up the rum, and it will become boozier over time! Just keep it refrigerated until the day of, and set it out to become room temperature hours before serving.
Pro Tip #3: Save some glaze for a few hours before serving. Warm it up and apply to the cake to give it an extra kick and glazieness!!!